Home Forums The Gaming Room X-Com – no manual!

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by WonderSlug WonderSlug 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Universal Head
    Keymaster

I just discovered on Shut Up & Sit Down that the new FFG game X-Com has no printed manual, but instead relies completely on the app to teach you the game, then provide index-driven rules. I guess that means no summary from me…

I must admit this brings back memories of the days when software publishers stopped providing print manuals with their programs. I think it’s a shame, and more of a cost-cutting measure than a good thing for gamers. Such a trend might even lead to bean counters deciding that printed manuals are unnecessary and just providing links to online PDFs.

Of course I’ll reserve final judgement until I see and play the game…

WonderSlug
    WonderSlug
    Participant

I was surprised to see that as well, but I think the way the game is played and presented will lend itself well to a “learn as you go” approach within the app.

Since the game is so heavily based around the app, I think it’s a pretty cool decision to also use it as a teaching aide. I’m not too worried about others following suite, unless they also base their games around a similar app.

That said, however, I bet you could still provide an excellent printed alternative to the index that would be very useful.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.