Skip to main content

Home Forums The Gaming Room Xmas Presents for Myself

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Well, there’s a pretty fantastic delivery right there! Agre with you about the Flying Frog roll and move thing, I’d prefer they replace it with the old Speed stat system. IA – well, tell us all about it (start a new thread?) Also interested to hear about GA, though I must admit I like my boardgames without technology. And Xia looks like a mammoth beast.

You’ve certainly got a lot to keep you busy over Xmas there mate!

MarcellusWallaceMarcellusWallace
    Participant

Actually there is an optional rule for SoB in the rulebook to just use a fixed movement of 4. You still have to roll for grit though. I have not played it yet, but will soon. Got everything ready.

But you can play it however you like anyway.

Keymaster

Ahh, there you are. Hoping to get my copy in the next couple of weeks.

JayvenpupJayvenpup
    Participant

I planned on getting a little more to go onto the table but…

Star Wars Imperial Assault
    After cancelling my Good Games order from their debacle, my Combat Company order is going to be arriving 30/31st December (already on it’s way from NSW)

Saboteur
    Only played this one once at a friend’s birthday and just need to find the time to put that down on the table when not painting miniatures >.>

HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition
    Paid for it when appeared last year on Kickstarter (and later moved) and had been planned for our 2014 Xmas present but looks like it will be arriving afterwards, no idea when but cannot wait.

Keymaster

I’m surprised that HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition went ahead, I thought it there were some dodgy copyright issues going on there.

Saboteur is a fun little game, especially with more players.

Still trying to get excited about Imperial Assault; I just have so many miniatures/skirmish/dungeoncrawl games and apart from the theme, there just doesn’t seem to be anything different going on.

GrandpaBobGrandpaBob
    Participant

Still trying to get excited about Imperial Assault; I just have so many miniatures/skirmish/dungeoncrawl games and apart from the theme, there just doesn’t seem to be anything different going on.

I agree. I’m sure I will have fun playing it when I’m playing it, but right now the force is pulling me toward Shadows of Brimstone which just arrived last week (my last minute order actually went through). Just finished assembling the minis from COTA and along with the 4 heroes from the other core set, and going to try it out tomorrow. I think I will break out Imperial Assault after my Star Wars Movie Marathon party which will take place next year before the release of episode VII. I am very excited to see the AT-ST on the game board.

Keymaster

(Sorry, just changed the quote formatting there, I must fix that styling)

Yes, Brimstone is my focus right now too! I think next year I have to try more games outside of the miniatures/skirmish/dungeoncrawl genre. 🙂

JayvenpupJayvenpup
    Participant

My SW Imperial Assault arrived yesterday and I assembled the AT-ST. It was surprisingly good quality with a decent amount of weight to it.

Today I’ll be cleaning the models up before I undercoat them and try my hand at painting very carefully as I treasure my Star Wars >.>

Keymaster

Excellent! I may treat myself to it as a happy new year present…

Participant

Just a quick report from the front.

I’ve had a chance to play both Terra Mystica and Shadows of Brimstone now.

Terra Mystica
    What a fantastic game. There’s nothing more to say. It looks fabulously complicated at first but is magnanimously simple. Everything is just nice, visible and touchable. All wooden bits and the few cardboard thingies are very solid. The artwork looks intriguing and it scales really good 2-5 players. New players will, after being overwhelmed by the first impression, understand everything in the first round. And there is so much to alter each game or set randomly (not only the 14 races to choose from), to come back again and again. Sweet.

Shadows of Brimstone
    The dice rolling hell. We played Swamps of Death as a group of four. And the first thing you will need is a very big table because 1. All items are normal sized cards, so your character board spaces quickly take up a lot of space. 2. So many cards. Not in general, but so many different types you have to put a deck of on the table. Decks of 8, 15 or 30 cards. A lot of decks with not so many cards each. 3. The maptiles are huge. No, seriously it’s a very large grid on those maps. But as you are descending into the mine you will be deconstructing the mine anyway as there is no reason to go back (except for some special missions with pre-made maps). 4. Cards.
    So anyway: It was a lot of fun and there are a lot of things to keep track of that you will most likely forget from time to time. (Oh, those monsters are void, so they get +1 defense because of this card, wait i have an armor 5+ but also got a blessing aura which gives me spirit armor 4+ because they got this ability which gives them horror hits, too. But oh, wait it’s an ambush so they are initiative +2 but i can cast my sermons first nevertheless etc etc). And gameplay gets down to moving to the next tile, rolling dice, rolling dice, rolling dice. That’s it. BUT WAIT! What makes it so much fun is the atmosphere. The whole western-horror theme. All those little and big stories unfolding before your eyes because of all those rooms you’re discovering and encounters and all the charts you’re rolling on which trigger events and all the randomness makes it feel like more than just rolling dice. Although it’s just rolling tons of D6s.
    So all in all this takes a lot of time, space and keeping track of all kind of things. But it’s also quick and fun.

About the miniatures: There was a lot of harsh comments from the kickstarter backers about the mini-quality. They lost a lot of details in the process of plastic massproduction (compared to the prototypes) And i have to say they are nowhere near GW for example. Even the miniatures from Descent have more details and look crisper (And these SoB figure you have to assemble). Nevertheless i am happy with them. Most of them look cool. The details are especially flat on some fews like the Preacher hero, or the Indian Scout. Or the Zombie faces. I just started painting them (dear god the mould lines of those bent tentacles).

Alright enough of this. We had a great time!

Keymaster

Terra Mystica seems too Euro for my tastes. Thoughts?

Shame Imperial Assault didn’t have tiles as large as the Brimstone ones, those IA room tiles look positively claustrophobic.

Really glad to hear you give Brimstone top marks for atmosphere, because after reading the rules I was getting a little worried at the utter lack of innovation. Yeah, I’m not too impressed with the miniatures, but I definitely class these as ‘boardgame minis’ and therefore have lower standards for them. Then again there are a lot of large gaps to be filled with green stuff. I wasn’t expecting too much so wasn’t too disappointed.

Participant

I wasn’t really interested so far in IA since it much seems like a StarWars Descent 2e (or the likes). Of course i like StarWars and i would be interested to hear from anyone who played the game about that skirmish versus mode, maybe that offers some nice tactical gameplay.
    I’m more looking forward to Armada. (Don’t have the x-wing game)

And yes for me the atmosphere and randomness (and thus making every attempt different) was really what saved SoB from just being a move then stay until you killed all monsters. Of course it has to show how that will keep up after some plays, when you’ve seen all encounters etc and everything kind of repeats in different order.
    We played two missions and visited town twice so far. All heroes on level 2.
    What i missed a little is that there is no real campaign. No overall story to keep you going, no final objective to get to. 12 missions with little background each to play in whatever order you like (can of course play them 1-12; as we do it). So you have to “make up” your own story, and for that you need the right people. Play-acting, story-telling and all that makes this much better.

I’m looking forward to seeing your miniatures! I just did the tentacles so far (as my almost first miniatures. Im a beginner when it comes to painting minis). So all the greenstuffing will be new for me. I guess i’ll post them in the forum soon enough.

Now on Terra Mystica being too euro (man these post start to get long): i can’t really tell you much about that because its actually the first real euro game i got(wooden bits to manage ressources and so on; the most euro it became here was Settlers of Catan). I didn’t have any and thought i wasn’t into them but i heard and read so much good stuff about TM that i overcame my fears and went ahead to get it. I don’t know about other euros but my friends amd i really like this one. It’s quite simple once you know what you can do but is quite strategic and rewards planning (which wont take long; trust me, one of my regular boardgame companions tends heavily to AP but he was surprisingly quick in this).
    Then what still holds me back from other euro games is that everything seems so abstract. You place some cubes there to get some of this and finally receive a cube in different color. Not so in TM. Everything is there and you can see it. You build your civilization on the land, upgrade your buildings to bigger ones, terraform the land, everyone races to the top of each cult of elements with their priests. You will almost never need to check the rulebook because all you need to know is there on your boards.
    I was never into euro games, and still am not. But i enjoy this (maybe euro-light?) greatly.

What makes you stay away from euro games? Maybe i could tell you more about it then, since we seem to share a basic discomfort with the thought of playing them.

I guess for further discussions about the game it would be worth to create some new threads 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.